photo sarahdraft2-4.jpg
 photo h8_zps33b0a5fc.png

Tuesday, 5 February 2013

weekend shopping

Hello everyone!
Now that's school's back in full swing, and I have dance every night till about 9, weekends have really been the only time that I can properly relax and do whatever I want, whenever I want. (Excluding homework. But that can be done another time? Right?) 
This weekend, I was invited to one of my absolute best friends birthday so of course i just had to go shopping- last minute presents and outfits, anyone? As I was wandering around the town centre, I might have just happened to fall into one or two shops. And forget who I shopping for. Oops!


 Andrea Fulerton Flip Flop French Manicure in 'Lianna'

Andrea Fulerton Trio in 'Petrol in the Water'
Andrea Fulerton Trio in 'Hard Days Night'


As you can probably tell, I've been in a very 'nail-y' mood, and when I had a little look-sie around Superdrug, the Andrea Fulerton range struck me instantly. Being a brand that I hadn't heard of before (I'm sorry if this is a hugely well known brand, but I usually don't specifically look for nail products, and actually, I haven't been to Superdrug in ages. I love the fact that I could buy one varnish, and effectively have three different colour choices-or two, with the Flip Flop French duo- is such an amazing investment for me because, let's face it, I'm not the most organised person, so having everything I need in one place is super handy.
'Alianna' Flip Flop French is a nail duo with one side being a pearlescent white/blue colour, and the darker end being a mid-tone purple. All the Andrea Fulerton polishes seem to have lots of shimmers running through them, but once you put it on, though noticeable, it's quite a subtle shimmer that catches your eye without being too overbearing.
'Petrol in the Water' Trio is probably my favourite product in the Andrea Fulerton range. Not only do I simply love the concept of having 'three-in-one', which I had never even considered a possibility before I found this, but the colours in this one are gorgeous for the Winter/ Spring transition period. On this product, the darker polish is a deep, earthy brown that is dark, and brooding and creates a simple statement nail, methinks. On the other hand (ha! get it? hand? no? oh.) the lighter polish is, again, a pearlescent colour that I just can't decide on exactly. Overall, it just looks white with shimmers, but if you look closer all those shimmers are reflecting differently and are having that beautiful effect of a constantly changing and moving rainbow. Layered over each other they create a dark, midnight blue shade that in the light appears lighter due to the reflections of the light on the shimmers.
'Hard Days Night' Trio has this gorgeous peachy, golden shade that I absolutely love and a midnight blue that, somehow, looks more purple depending on where you are. The double worn shade is simply a lighter, brighter blue which did disappoint me slightly considering the variety of Petrol in the Water.



Andrea Fulerton Pre-Varnish Prep

Andrea Fulerton Gloss Up Overcoat
Nail Paint by Barry M in 342 Nude


Sleek Brow Palette Duo in Dark
Sleek Blush Trio in Lace


I bought the Sleek Brow Palette Duo because I have sparse areas in my eyebrows, so I wanted to sort of even it out over the whole brow, and also because brows can really make or break a look- who wants the most gorgeous face/ eye/ lips if having really awful eyebrows just ruins it? This product really suits me as, even though I'm naturally blonde I have ridiculously dark eyebrows, so the darkest shade of this palette gets the colour just about right without being so dark as to look like I'm just colouring them in. Maybe not a pigmented as I would like, but I put hardly any on the brush so maybe I should just experiment with layering and stuff. Speaking of brushes, this one comes with both a flat, straight end and a slanted one (okay, my mind is going blank and I can't for the life of me remember the proper name for the brushes) as well as tweezers. I'm actually pretty happy with the brushes. They do the job, they don't shed and they're so much better than your average palette brush. The tweezers, on the other hand.. well, maybe it's just me. I find the tweezers really quite awkward as they're really stiff, which makes it harder to pluck quickly and therefore, less painfully. Think I'll just stick to my own tweezers until I build up some more hand muscles.

Now, the Sleek Blush Trio in Lace. Pretty much everyone in the beauty world has been raving about this product and I'm going to have to agree with them on this one. It didn't seem likely, I must admit, when I popped the lid open and the colours were so bright. According to the photos I had seem online, they were much more muted tones, and I was a bit miffed. Nevertheless, I had to review the product for myself so I bought it, and am I glad I did! The three colours are a bright coral orange, a shimmery mid-shade salmon pink and a bright red/ pink. If you were a three year with a passion for coating the paintbrush in as much paint as possible and swiping madly at the paper, or know of one, you'll understand what I mean when I say Be Careful. Honestly, this blush should have a warning sign on it- one sweep of brush over blush and you'll worriedly tap and wipe it all of for fear of a bad case of Mad Makeup Applying. When I'm using this, I find it best to just lightly sweep the brush over your desired shade once, apply it to the apples of your cheeks, and then consult the mirror on whether you need any more. Generally, I apply only one or two layers of any of these colours, and then use a buffing brush just to soften the look slightly for a more natural appearance as I have fair skin and any more than that makes me look like a merry little elf from the North Pole.

 
All in all, fair play to Sleek- I'll definitely repurchase both these products, and the blush is certainly pigmented, but just work on the little things like tough tweezers.

 

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 003 Peach Glow


Again, another hugely raved about beauty product, but I wasn't actually going to get it. I have so many powders at home, in my school bag, handbag, makeup bag, everywhere, why do I need it? Well, truth be told, I don't. But as I was walking past, I saw it was the last one left, and the makeup addict in me just kicked in. I was contemplating putting it back when I got to the cash register and realised- joy of joys!- I had £15 saved up on my boots card. Well, I technically get it for free then, don't I? ;) 
I've used it all the time since I got it and it is now my favourite pressed powder of all time. It sets my makeup with the lightest bit of product and gets rid of any extra shine I may have on my face, and is easy to carry around with me for any touch ups. L o v e!


Vaseline Limited Edition Pink Bubbly Petroleum Jelly Lip Balm

I know, I know, it's silly to get excited over something like limited edition Vaseline, but I can't help it. While queuing up in Boots I stole a look at some of the products they had around the cash register and realised I needed something for my lips with all the cold weather drying them out, and reached over to get my Strawberry Vaseline, which, incidentally, wasn't there. In its place was this little (non-alcoholic)champagne beauty which has the perfect moisture:firmness:tint ratio- moist enough to care for your lips, firm enough not to go all gooey and get all over your fingers a you apply it, and an extremely subtle tint that allows you to wear it on it's own and still make lips appear more interesting as well as layering over lipstick.




Black Ankle Strap Shoes with Stud Detailing- Zara(SALE!)



What did you do over the weekend?


3 comments:

  1. Love the shoes! & Rimmel Stay Matte is one of the best setting powders I've ever used, you're going to love it! :)
    -Crystal

    Crystal's Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveee those shoes!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post:) I love that Sleek Blush Trio, it's such good value too xxx

    ReplyDelete